The Discover It credit card is a cash back credit card issued by Discover Financial, and is one of the top cash back credit cards available today. We have used this card for over a year now and have been more than pleased.
Discover has updated the offerings for 2013 as follows:
- From October through December 31, 2013, Discover is offering 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1500 worth of online purchases.
- Card-members who sign up for the 5 percent program can save even more if purchases are made through ShopDiscover, an online shopping portal offering 5-20% Cashback Bonus at more than 200 top retailers.
- Beginning November 7, and through January 8, 2014, more than 80 of these retailers are increasing cash back rewards for the holiday season. Some retailers increasing Cashback Bonus include:
- 1800 Flowers –20% Cashback Bonus
- Brookstone – 15% Cashback Bonus
- Macy’s – 10% Cashback Bonus
- Nordstrom –10% Cashback Bonus
- Sephora – 10% Cashback Bonus
- Hotels.com – 10% Cashback Bonus
Discover It Features
- 5% Cash Back Categories – The Discover It credit card gives 5% cash back in popular categories that change every quarter. These categories include gas stations, restaurants, shopping stores, and more. You earn the full 5% on spending up to the quarterly maximum (currently $1,500 per quarter)
- Up to 20% Cash Back Through Shop Discover – You can shop at over 200 online retailers through Discover’s online portal and earn 5% to 20% cash back any time. No other program has such a great cash back and includes the big retailers like Walmart, Target, Kohls, etc. This is one of the main reasons to own this card.
- 1% Cash Back on all Other Purchases - There is no limit on the 1% earned, which is the case for some cash back cards.
- Double Cash back Bonus. You can double your cash back amount when redeem your money for gift certificates from participating retailers. This can compound on top of the already huge cash back savings above.
- Direct Amazon Purchases – You can link to and directly purchase items from Amazon with the cash back you have earned.
- Almost No Fees – No annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, no over limit fee, and no fee for your first late payment. There are also no interest rate hikes for late payments.
- Flexibility – With the Discover It credit card, you can choose your own monthly due date and you have until midnight of that day to pay by phone or online.
- U.S Based, 24 Hour Call Center - Call any time and be able to speak with a real human being…
- Purchase Protection – All eligible purchases made with the Discover It card are protected for up to $500 during the first 90 days if they’re stolen or accidentally damaged.
- Extended Warranty – Discover will extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty and any purchased warranty for up to 1 extra year, on warranties of 3 years or less. This is a huge plus when making a big purchase, like a computer or TV.
- Price Protection – Discover will refund up to a $500 difference if you find a lower price within 90 days of making a qualifying Discover it card purchase.
- Return Protection – You can return any eligible purchase within 90 days for up to a $500 refund. This is awesome if the store refuses to take a return and you’re holding an item you don’t want.
- 0% introductory APR - Right now, Discover is offering a special 0% interest rate on all purchases and balance transfers for 14 months. This is a good deal if you plan to transfer your existing high-interest credit card debt so that you pay 0% interest on your transferred balance for 14 months. This allows you to pay off your existing debt faster. There is a 3% balance transfer fee.
- Fraud Protection – If there are any strange or wrongful charges on the Discover it card, you won’t pay a dime. They take care of it.
- Customer Service - Discover has been good to us. We received a free $20 gift card just because we moved. That’s pretty respectful (if not a little creepy they knew?)
What To Avoid
- Interest - After the 14 months at 0% interest, the rates balloon up to take advantage of irresponsible people. If you can’t pay off your balance each month, or pay off your existing balance within 14 months, you may not need any new credit cards.
Discover It Card Review – Final Thoughts
Like I said in the opening, we are big fans of the Discover It card. In the time that we have used the card, we have had zero problems and we have earned a good amount of money from the 5% categories and the online Shop Discover portal.
Customer service has been excellent and they have answered any questions or problems we’ve had.
The fraud protection and extra warranty are a big selling point for us. If something goes wrong with a purchase, they make it right. That’s a big deal.
If you are looking for a good card to use throughout the year, we highly recommend this one. Overall, it might be the best cash back card available today.
To get the 14 month 0% intro APR offer you can apply here