22 Things I Won’t Pay For
I’ve been reading and reflecting on my frugal lifestyle today. I really like saving money. It’s my natural tendency after so many years of practice – and I have to try to hard to “splurge.”
I think my ability to save is a valuable asset. I think many friends and family would benefit from a little shot of Cash Cow frugality. So I’ve put together a list of things that I DO NOT spend money on and why.
- Starbucks Coffee – Scratch that, I never buy any coffee I have to purchase by the cup. $20/month Starbucks budget = $3,540 compounded over 10 years
- Car Payments: I’ve never made a car payment and I vowed to only purchase a car if I can pay fully in cash. A car is a pitiful excuse for an investment. the value just goes down, down down. I’ll let you eat the depreciation then buy it for pennies on the dollar in 8 years.
- Cable TV – Why would I pay $60/month to watch a bunch of junk every night? A $6 digital antenna and free online options provide all the mindless entertainment I can stand.
- DVDs – I borrow from a friend or use a free red box rental.
- Music – Why pay when free sources such as Spotify, a friend’s music, Pandora, etc. are available?
- Trash Bags – I always use plastic ones saved from the grocery store.
- Full price movie tickets – Instead, I occasionally go with the wife if it’s half off.
- Snacks at the movie theater – This is the biggest waste of money, EVER. Bring your own.
- Hair Cuts – My brothers used to cut my hair, but I have cut my own for the last few years.
- Gym Memberships – Tons of home workout programs can be found for free online. More than that, most people won’t use a workout system more than a week. Ever heard of an evening jog, 100 jumping jacks, and 20 pushups?
- Wrapping Paper – I do not waste money on such frivolity. Instead, re-use or don’t use.
- Cigarettes – Pay to shave years off my life? No thanks.
- Apps – I have no use for them as I still own a flip phone. No joke.
- Soda – When the choices are insulin spiking corn syrup or diet poison, I think I’d rather keep my change.
- Dogs or pets of any kind- The increasing cost of food/grooming/toys/pills/euthanasia is simply not worth it. I have a wife – man’s best friend.
- Car washes – Come on. DIY.
- The Local Paper – It’s all online, for free. Most local “news” is a complete waste of time anyway.
- Tanning – Fake bake? What ever happened to good old fashioned sunshine? Try washing your car to tan for free.
- Extended Warranties – Almost always a long term loser.
- Fast Food – Rarely, if ever.
- Lotto tickets – “The lottery is a tax on people who are bath at math.”
- Valet Parking – No thanks! Gotta love that exercise!
What things do you avoid paying for?